Quinoa - we can't get enough of the stuff in this house!
I've also discovered that 'Quinoa Salad' is by far the most common search item typed into Google to direct people to my blog. But, I've only got two quinoa salad recipes on the website so far (here and here), so the people have spoken and why not give them more of what they want, right?!
Here it is folks, a brand spanking new quinoa salad...this time new and improved with chickpeas, avocado, feta, tomatoes, cilantro (or parsley if you despise cilantro), green onions, and a herb dressing. I hope you enjoy...we did!
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 19-ounce (540 mL) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 20 grape tomatoes (or however many you like), cut in half
- 3/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled (I used light feta)
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 handful cilantro (or parsley if you hate cilantro), stems removed and finely chopped
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Put quinoa and water into a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, immediately reduce the heat to low, cover with a lid, and cook for 15 minutes. Check to see if all liquid is gone and the quinoa is light and fluffy. If there is still any liquid or if the quinoa is somewhat mushy, keep cooking with the lid on for another few minutes until fluffy. In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, basil, and garlic, then pour over the quinoa, and stir. Add the remaining ingredients, and stir. Serve cold. Enjoy!
Recipe Source: Actually, this one's my brainchild. Word!